Sometimes life can throw a variety of unexpected events at us. When it does, coping with them in the best way possible is very important. When a circumstance arises that requires us to care for a loved one – whether it’s aging parents or a spouse that has been injured in an accident – it can be extremely challenging. However understanding how to best care for a loved one is important and can help you and those in your life carry on in the best way possible.
WHAT YOU SHOULD REMEMBER
There are a lot of things that can make this more complex. From your emotions to financial challenges to the simple fact that there never seems to be enough time in a day, caring for a loved one can be one of the most stressful things you have to do. There are some tips that can help you. Here are some of the key things to keep in mind.
- Remember The Love – It can be easy to become so frustrated by the situation that you lose your cool. Remember that the reason you’re providing care is the love you and the person under your care have for one another. The moments you’ve had together often make it all worthwhile and many times just a moment for a hug or another gesture to show how much you love them, can help reduce your stress.
- Find the Positives – Even during the darkest situation, we can train our brain to focus on some glimmers of light. Try to find
those flickers of the positive and focus on them. Doing so can help you keep a more positive, upbeat mindset during difficult situations.
- Master Time Management – One of the biggest challenges that you’ll have will be your time. Working, running errands,
providing care, and other steps throughout the day all take time. If possible hire help to do the low value activities so that you can spend your time where it is most important. We suggest for families that they spend a majority of their time as quality time with their loved one, laughing, sharing memories, spending time with each other is what matters. If you have the financial wherewithal, hire help to be sure medications are taken, doctor appointments are coordinated, bathing and any other basic necessities are handled. This will give you more energy to share positive moments with the person you are caring for.
- Master Your Finances – Not only will providing care be difficult in terms of time, but it can impact your finances significantly as well. Now more than ever creating a solid budget is a must and so is understanding other steps you can take towards improving the overall financial health you have in place. Pay attention to your finances to ensure that you don’t end up struggling with them later.
- Get Help – There’s nothing to be ashamed of when asking for a little help from someone. There are so many wonderful resources in our community, seek and ask for help and support. Seeking out help during this phase of your life for the person you are caring for and for you, is something that is well worth doing.
- Take Time For “You”– We know we just talked about time management, but there’s also something to be said for just
how important it is to take a little time out of the day for yourself. Whether your time is used to go for a quiet walk, watch a movie, go shopping, or just sit on the porch with a glass of wine and unwind for a few, giving yourself some time is absolutely vital for your own mental health.
AN UNQUESTIONABLE CHALLENGE
There’s no question that caring for a loved one can be challenging. The tips above can help you with the process, but it is certainly
something that will take effort on your part – physical and mental. Your financial team can help provide guidance during this time that can help you and your loved one in the short and long term. If you have questions, or would like to learn more about this topic, please feel free to contact Ciccarelli Advisory Services.
Jill Ciccarelli Rapps, CFP®
Ciccarelli Advisory Services, Inc. is located at 9601 Tamiami Trail North, Naples, FL (239.262.6577)
Jill Ciccarelli Rapps, is a certified financial planner and a trained life coach and is a Partner of Ciccarelli Advisory Services Inc., a Family Focused Wealth Management Firm in Florida and New York.
Investment advisory services offered through Ciccarelli Advisory
Services, Inc., a registered investment adviser independent of FSC
Securities Corporation. Securities and additional investment advisory
services offered through FSC Securities Corporation, member FINRA/
SIPC and a registered investment adviser.