by Karen Coney Coplin
Many a truth is said in jest and many a life’s lesson is expressed in a timeless quote.
There are quotes for every season, and, if you dig deep enough (thanks, Google!) for every reason, or problem, or opportunity that might cross your path.
Some of my favorites include:
- “Health is the real wealth.” – Gandhi (true then, true now, true always).
- “It is impossible to feel grateful and depressed in the same moment.” – Naomi Williams (alas, that moment may be fleeting).
- Calm always follows the storm (paraphrasing Shannon L. Alder, “After every storm, there is a rainbow.”) And yes – we might have to wait it out and wait for it.
- “Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out.” – John Wooden. A reminder that mindset is a large part of everything we experience and do.
The last several months have been hard on everyone’s psyche, whether at home or in the workforce; and, especially as to the latter -so many businesses had to close earlier this year, during the height of season, or scale back dramatically, as in the case of our favorite local restaurants. And some have not re-opened. A slice of someone’s life in Naples, altered forever.
One newsworthy moment that really packed a wallop during the COVID-19 crisis was the news that the area’s Nordstrom store was closing – for good.
My thoughts first went to the hundreds of employees. Prior to this news, some had posted hopeful messages on social media, because Nordstrom continued to pay salaries, insurance, and the like for the first two, then three weeks of the shut-down. Then the news came that this store would not re-open.
Then, I remembered the dazzling efforts of the creative team which opened this store to great fanfare over a decade ago. Their grand opening welcome party was on everyone’s list! Its closure, an end to an era, is unfortunate news on many levels. We all wait to see what phoenix might arise in its place at Waterside Shops. Hopefully sooner than later for the good of life in Naples.
If we rise by lifting others, there are many ways to make a difference with local businesses. It is too late for this national retailer, but we can take many different, and often easy action steps to support our favorite Naples businesses.
- Do you receive their newsletter or email alerts? Sign up, share, and shop when you can. Be a cheerleader. Tell your friends and family.
- Are you following them on social media? Share a post, tag a friend, make a comment, like or love what they have to say.
- Positive experiences can lead, naturally, to positive reviews. Take a moment to post a thank you for great service or assistance. Or, take the old fashioned (and still very much appreciated route) and send a handwritten note of thanks or a commendation to the owner/manager. A little appreciation goes a long way. Or, if you’re so inclined, a small gift, or gift card, is always welcome.
Another favorite quote of mine: “They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel” (paraphrasing Maya Angelou).
Here’s to all the feels – as well as a shout out for a locally founded “KindCarded” movement, busy blazing trails of joy, kindness and positivity. No need for any of these to be in short supply in life in Naples. Be inspired. Take note!
If there ever was a time, the time is NOW! Do you want to encourage acts of kindness, large and small? Be a part of the KindCarded movement?
Local photographer and mom Heather Donlan has created beautiful cardstock messages, which offer words of affirmation, encouragement and inspiration. These cards can be passed out as a simple, small act of kindness to brighten someone’s spirits or even make someone’s day. As she declares on the movement’s website, “Pretty much every human can use kind words and a little encouragement from time to time.”
Be kindhearted. Be KindCarded! “You make me laugh” is one such card out of the set of 48 offering caring and expressive sayings. Share these with loved ones; or an acquaintance or a passing stranger. Let the ripple effect begin with you!
A shout-out to #shopsmall #shoplocal:The KindCarded gift box sets are available locally at Haven- The Collective, located at 950 3rd Ave. N., Suite B, Naples, FL 34102, or online: kindcarded.com
See the article postscript for a chance to win a KindCarded set.
Email Karen with article ideas concerning Life in Naples (especially as to local charitable organizations and their activities in the age of Covid-19): NaplesKCC@gmail.com. Follow her on Instagram for more vignettes about Life in Naples: @naplesbythenumbers. Readers, send along your favorite, if lesser known, quote or inspiration concerning kindness or gratitude. One will be selected to receive the KindCarded gift set and announced here in the November issue.